1225 Connecticut Avenue NW
An urban office building gets an upgrade and becomes the first of its kind.
Home to a historic church until 1960, this Washington DC site was replaced by a generic office building until CallisonRTKL was brought in to revive this forgotten urban space. Working alongside the city’s Historic Preservation Office, CallisonRTKL’s redesign included replacing the exterior façade, reconfiguring the interior spaces, redesigning the lobby and adding a 15,000-SF green roof. The exterior and interior renovations helped the building achieve LEED Platinum certification, making it the first redeveloped building on the East Coast to reach this goal.